Sunday, February 17, 2013

Reflection - Week of 2/11

This week in class we were still discussing poetry. We reviewed more of the poems we were assigned to read. I enjoyed reading these poems, especially "The Road Less Taken" by Robert Frost. It's one of my favorite poems to read.

We then peer edited some of our classmates partial poetry analysis drafts. I was impressed with my classmates work, but since it was just a partial draft there wasn't much criticism to make that the author's didn't already know. It was cool to see the poems they chose and why, and it gave me some inspiration for my essay as well.

After the peer editing, we were assigned some class work to help us write our poems that are due in two weeks. This was so hard for me! I just had a hard time coming up with metaphors. I'm not a creative writer and not that creative when it comes to poetry in general. I think it's almost a mental block. I think I stop myself because poetry can and is such a daunting world to enter. Creative writing itself is actually. It's tough because when you do something completely on your own, getting criticism can be harsh. It's the same for engineering -- when you put out a design or a new method to streamline work-- it's hard to receive criticism. Then again, it's also helpful to get the other points of view because it can make your product even better. I do think creative writing is a bit different though, because you are putting your own (and sometimes random) ideas out there. Usually in engineering there's already a need, so it's not completely out of the blue.

2 comments:

  1. Michelle,
    I also chose Robert Frost's poem as one of my favorites. It makes sense to me, it is something that I can relate to and I’m sure the whole class could relate it to their lives sooner or later. I appreciated your feedback on my essay, it helped me a lot to tell you the truth, it opened up my eyes to what I needed to do, and I know I didn’t really supply you with too much, but your comments made a difference. I like how you correlated engineering and our assignment of creating our own poetry. I also had very hard times coming up with certain things that were asked for, I had somewhat of a brain fart, but with the help of Ali, my brain started working again. It all makes sense once we all start talking about it as a class, we all have those “ah hah!” moments and then we become inspired. That’s why I appreciate our discussions in class, even though I may be shy sometimes, it help a lot to talk to our classmates. I hope you’re not having too much of a hard time coming up with two original poems, I know I am!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm replying a bit late...but oh man. These poems are killing me too! Good luck! I hope you're doing better.

    ReplyDelete