Sunday, April 28, 2013

Reflection - Week of 4/22

We did not have class this week but instead had to watch Slumdog Millionaire on our own. I really enjoy this movie. It's put together very well. I admire the structure of the movie, which is through the use of flashbacks. Some movies have a hard time keeping the story straight with flashbacks but I feel like this one does not have those issues. While they are flashbacks, the flashbacks themselves are in chronological order. Aside from the structure, I feel this movie attempts to address some problems of globalization. Our country is much different than India is and the movie brings this differences to the surface. The one weakness I would say is that while the movie has a happy ending for the two main characters, it leaves the serious questions of globalization open ended. There is no solution for the problems in India-- just a happy ending for the characters. This seems like it is influenced from the Western culture. We like our happy endings and so the movie gives us one. But what about the orphans? The ones sold into slavery? It doesn't present a solution for this.

1 comment:

  1. I love you comment about the film Michelle, this is the third time I view this film myself, and have always enjoyed it. But I found this last time, after reading the texts provided in class by the professor, and having to look at the film through the lens of globalization, I was honestly feeling frustrated and even upset. I even went and drafted my paper on the very subject, there are no solution s offered and I also see the same Western influence with the "happy ending." Slumdog is an amazing work, and could have had more influence if reality could have persisted throughout the film, instead, it was sold out to the preferred Western ending.

    ReplyDelete