Sunday, March 24, 2013

Reflection - Week of 3/18

Ali and I were supposed to present this week but unfortunately the projector was not working, so we couldn't go. When I say unfortunately, I really mean it. I was ready to go and get it over with. Presenting is not my favorite thing to do--at school and also at work--so I was just ready to be done. However, I guess it's also good to have some more time to fine tune the presentation. I'm sure it will go fine next week.

We briefly went over New Media by looking at Professor Wexler's PowerPoint on our own computers. I think new media is a very relevant and interesting topic. It's great that we have all these ways of learning and sharing information, however, I feel like it's almost too easy. When I younger I had to learn how to go to a library and find the information. It really was a skill. Now you can just google whatever you want. Google has even become a verb know. Don't know something? Google it. Another issue new media brings up is the way in which we interpret the information. I feel like the internet conditions us to skim read. Typically to understand an article you need to read the first two paragraphs and the last. The stuff in the middle is extra information, but to get a quick idea, that's all you need. There are debates if this is transferring over to books. I find myself skim reading most of everything I read. I really have to train myself to stop skimming. I wonder if this is an effect of the internet. I've been using it since I was about 8 years old, whereas my older siblings didn't use it as young and don't seem to have the same problem. Who knows!

No comments:

Post a Comment